Sunday, June 19, 2011

Speaking Italian

Sorry, this isn't a part of my 30 day thing, but I found it, and I had to share it :)

This is from the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

For years, I'd wished I could speak Italian - a language I find more beautiful than roses - but I could never make the practical justification for studying it.  Why not...learn to speak Spanish, the better to help me communicate with millions of my fellow Americans?  What was I going to do with Italian?  It's not like I was going to move there.  It would be more practical to learn how to play the accordion.


But why must everything always have a practical application?  I'd been such a diligent soldier for years - working, producing, never missing a deadline, taking care of my loved ones, my gums and my credit record, voting, etc.  Is this lifetime supposed to be only about duty? 


But I loved [speaking Italian].  Every word was a singing sparrow, a magic trick, a truffle for me.  I would slosh home through the rain after class, draw a hot bath, and lie there in the bubbles reading the Italian dictionary aloud to myself... The words made me laugh in delight.


I can't tell you what a relief it was to read those words.  At least once a week in my Italian class, I would think to myself, "Why am I taking Italian?  Shouldn't I be taking Spanish?  It is more practical, and it would probably be easier for me to get a job after I graduate."

However, I'm ALWAYS practical.  It's hard enough to have the discipline to learn a language in the first place.  If I'm going to go through the trouble, I might as well learn a language I've always wanted to learn.  I'm just really glad to find I'm not the only one who feels like this.  Italian really is a beautiful language, and I know I complain about it sometimes, but it's awesome!  Plus, I'm going to Italy one day, and it would be very helpful if I am a competent or proficient speaker.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

If it makes you feel better because Italian is a Latin based language you'll be able to understand a lot of Spanish. Go for what you want.

hannah joel said...

Lets go? Study abroad yeah?