Sunday, January 6, 2008

ACT

Are you a scared as I am? A couple days ago, I registered to take the ACT. The ACT people!!! I'm trying to get myself prepped for the test, but I'm not worried about preparation as much, I'm worried about freezing up and forgetting everything just like I did on my last two significant tests. Check out some of the stuff I have to know. Go ahead and see if you can answer it. (No peeking at the answers!)
  1. Rex is four times as old as Ted. If the sum of their ages is 30, how old is Ted? A: 5 B: 8 C: 10 D: 6
  2. Find the slope: 4x - 5y = 20 A: 5/4 B: 4/5 C: -4/5 D: -5/4
  3. Read the passages and answer the questions that follow(3 and 4). The work performed by a spring is one of the classic examples of work performed by variable force. When a spring is neither compressed nor extended, we may say that it is in a relaxed state. Any time the spring is taken out of this state, whether by begin stretched or compressed, it will exert what is called a restoring force, as it attempts to reclaim its relaxed state. In most cases, we can say that the force (F) exerted by the spring is proportional to the displacement of the free end from its position during the relaxed state. This is known as Hooke's law, and is expressed:
    F = -kd
    The negative sign in this equation indicates that the force is always opposite to the displacement. The constant k is known as the spring constant, and is a measure of the resilience of the spring. What is one of the classic examples of work performed by variable force? A: a ball rolling downhill B: stretching out a spring C: compressing a spring D: the work performed by a spring
  4. Why is the spring constant always negative? A: Because it always acts in the opposite direction as the force acting on the spring B: Because it always acts in the same direction as the force acting on the spring. C: Because it always acts perpendicular to the force acting on the spring. D: Because it goes toward the center of the earth.

Here are the answers:

  1. D. The ratio of Rex's age to Ted's age is 4:1; the sum of their ages can be divided by the total number of units in this ratio, 5. This indicates that Rex is 24 and Ted is 6.
  2. B. The equation form for slope is y = mx + b, in which m is slope.
  3. D. The restoring force of a spring is a great example of variable force.
  4. A. The restoring force always resists the force that moves the spring out of its relaxed position.

See, not too bad. I'm just worried about the stupid science questions. I hate science. My attention span is not equipped to deal with any science. I also have to do some more English questions and I am taking the optional essay part of the test so, I'm also nervous about that. But I still have a month to prepare, and I think if I do a couple of prep practices every night, I'll get a good score.

2 comments:

Suzie said...

yeah, you lost me at "Rex".

there's a glimpse into my brain.

It is a VERY cute name, though.

The Wood Monkeys said...

You'll do fine--I totally bombed the math portion of my ACT--and with your really high English scores (which you will have) it will even everything out. GOOD LUCK!! Are you planning on taking it a couple of times or just see what you get and go from there?