Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ode To My Fellow Writers

I've tasted small parallels of what a writer's life is like. For those of you who don't know, it's not easy. Writers are given the responsibility to tell every story how it is. It may sound easy, but trust me; it's not. They must share everything: all manner of detail, places, characters, emotions, and everything else I can't think of right now that involves illuminating all aspects of the account they are describing.

Being somewhat of a writer, I find it really complicated but exciting to try and unearth EVERYTHING. I love that there are unlimited directions a story can be told because of the way a character is feeling. I'm fascinated by the miracle of word choice; I am able to give the reader the exact picture I see in my head because of the expressions I select for the audience.

Even though I'm simply an amateur, I would still like to develop these skills completely. Think of what handy tools they are in life. What if one day, you need to write a really persuasive letter? I've got that covered. What if you need to lighten up your resume to seem upbeat? I've got that covered too! They may seem like mediocre tool, but when you have them, you'll use them more than you know.

So even if you think you're not a great writer, give it a chance. You're going to be grateful you, at the very least, learned how.