Friday, February 8, 2008

American Idol

Okay, so this is my newspaper article about American Idol for this month's edition. I must say, I don't entirely feel this way about the show, but there are some feelings there. Okay, enjoy!



As most of you already know, American Idol has resumed its reign on television for the seventh season. For some shows, that’s already one too many seasons, but for this show, there is no immediate end in sight.

For me, I am one of the many who thinks this show NEEDS to abdicate its throne. Yeah, it was a good show when it was starting out, but all good things have to come to an end sometime.

Think about it. Only two or three of the six winners have gone on with success. Even those competitors that didn’t win but were able to extend their careers for a time have been dropped. Is it really worth going through all of the trouble just to gain a new pop-star?

Take Ruben Studdard for instance. Where is he? Why, if he became this fantastic star, has he been dropped from valid existence? The same goes for Fantasia Barrino and Taylor Hicks. There is one thing in common with all of these idle idols: They rose and fell along with their hit singles.

Now for the other side of the spectrum, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood have had outstanding success. Both have received multiple platinum albums as well as some Grammy Awards.

Don’t worry, I won’t forget about Jordin Sparks. Her single Tattoo is played all over the country. However, if you ask me, she’s going to end up just like Ruben, Fantasia, and Taylor: following her single around until it drags her down. For now, I’ll keep listening to Chris Daughtry and any other fantastic performers who get voted off the show for no good reason.


Ha! This bashing thing is kind of fun. I wonder what I could come up with when Presidential Canditates' reputations are on the line...

No comments: