Monday, February 25, 2008

New Story

Check it out; I was bored last night and started to write a story. An idea finally hit me. So, I will show you what I have, and to all of my adoring fans, tell me if it has potential. I'm still not sure about it. I was just excited that I was able to think of something for a story. Anyway, let me know what you think.



He asked me what I thought of solving mysteries. What kind of a question was that? Here we are, new neighbors, I'm batting my eyelashes, and he asks me about mysteries.

"I'm no Nancy Drew, but I'm not opposed to being caught up in something to solve."

"Good. Because unless you want to be scared out of the house, just like every other tenant that's lived here, you'd better get to work."

"This house?" I acknowledged the old pile of bricks behind me.

He nodded. "Yes. Have you not heard? It's the only exciting thing that's eve happened in this town. Well, besides the time when Mrs. Lavender accidentally set her house on fire when she was cooking."

"No, no one has bothered to tell me any stories about this town. Would you mind filling me in?"

"Okay, it all started when Mrs. Lavender forgot to take the fork out of her mashed potatoes..."

My eyes rolled. "No, not Mrs. Lavender. The house -- What's so mysterious about the house?"

"Oh, I'm sorry." He smiled, " I thought you wanted to hear the intriguing story of how Mrs. Lavender put out the fire."

"Uh... no, not really."

"All right. Well, I'm afraid I must save the story of your house for another time, anyway."

"What? You were just about to get started on a story. Why should this one be different."

"Because the story is different, Anna."

He said my name and for reason, I stopped breathing.

"You'll hear the story from me, soon. There are a few things that need to happen that will prepare you for it."

I exhaled.

"What kind of things?"

"Oh, you'll know. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you." He smiled again and took one last look at the house for the night. "See you later."

He straightened his body from the fence and continued down the sidewalk.

4 comments:

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

How would leaving a fork in the mashed potatoes start a fire? See, you got me interested with that little tidbit! Sounds like a good story...keep working on it!

Michael H. said...

That's pretty good! The dialogue is well put and fluid, which is something I frequently have trouble with. And it really keeps you interested. You should keep writing, I like it.

Stacy said...

I am one of your adoring fans and I love your guts. Keep going, practice makes perfect.
Oh, I totally get the fork in the mashed potatoes. She put them in the microwave right?

The Wood Monkeys said...

I want more.....